- Evaluate the current practice (example: corn stalk test for existing nitrogen levels)
- Evaluate uniformity of application of existing practice
- Evaluate rate of current nitrogen or manure application
- Evaluate the alternative or test practice
- Evaluate the rate of the alternative practice (strip trials in the field)
- Evaluate the potential for spatial variation
- Evaluate the overall difference between current and alternative practice
"Being a part of this proactive approach to environmentalism gives growers solid scientific data they can use to demonstrate that they are managing their resources properly and in a way that minimizes negative environmental impact."Efforts like this are critical for farmers to save money, for improving one of the most challenging water quality challenges the U.S. faces and for setting the right tone on sustainability assessment. The data this process is uncovering is showing just how difficult it is to find the right balance of which fertilizer or manure type to use and when to apply it because of the complexities and multiple weather-related variables involved in how nitrogen breaks down in the environment.